29 Mar Focus on Hydration – Homemade Electrolyte Drink Recipes ????????
We are all doing our best to stay healthy right now and so I have a simple message today about nourishing your body with plenty of water and water rich foods, to give your immunity the boost that it needs.
I’m not sure if you know but our immune system really relies on the intake of water and that’s one reason why it’s so vital to know how to stay properly hydrated, especially during cold and flu season and times like these.????
Staying hydrated keeps our lymphatic system flushing itself to continuously detoxify; so water works hard to remove toxins from your body naturally, helping prevent them from building up, clogging things and making things sluggish. Water also helps to carry oxygen to the cells of your body.
Getting dehydrated leads to all kind of health problems, from headaches to feeling lethargic & weight gain, a lack of cleansing and detoxification, a weakened immune response, getting colds and flus easily, and even brain fog – dehydration can affect your brain! – all of which you don’t want!
Getting more water in my system is honestly one of my favourite ways to boost my immune system function, especially because I’m so physically active and feel thirsty often. So it hits the spot for me!!
So how much do you want to be drinking?
The rule is 25-50% of your body weight in oz. So if you weigh 160 lbs, you typically want to get about 80 oz (10 cups) of water a day or as little as 40 oz (5 cups) but probably more than that.
How do you do this?
- Drink more water and/or lemon water
- Sprinkle a small amount of Pink Himalayan Salt or Celtic Sea Salt in your water glass or on your unsalted foods because when you drink water, you also need sodium and potassium.
- Drink more coconut water – but make sure there is NO SUGAR added in it, check ingredient labels and don’t overdo this one as it has lots of natural sugars.
- Make your own electrolyte drinks (I have 2 recipes for you here!)
- Eat more fruits and vegetables! Fruits and veggies are packed with electrolytes like magnesium, calcium, potassium and sodium, and you need to get those good, quality electrolytes in your system in order to stay properly hydrated.
- Some of the most hydrating fruits and veg include:
- Bell peppers
- Citrus fruit
- You can also drink herbal, non-caffeinated tea, like peppermint and ginger tea
- Reduce caffeine and alcohol intake
- And be sure to exercise to increase your circulation and get those nutrients to your cells!
The takeaway here is that adding more water and water-rich foods into your diet is going to give your immunity, and that of those you love of course, a boost.
And as I like to say “Get Fuelled today for a healthier and happier tomorrow.”
Here are 2 Homemade Electrolyte Drink Recipes you can make yourself!: Electrolyte Drinks_Final-1
Stay healthy and safe everyone!
PS – If you enjoyed this post and would like to receive this kind of information regularly, sign up for my weekly eNewsletter to get these updates delivered right to your inbox!
References used: https://draxe.com/nutrition/how-to-stay-hydrated/