05 Sep HAPPY LABOUR DAY!
Happy Labour Day!
Enjoy your day off!
Wishing you loads of fun, good health and happiness today!
Holidays make me think of some of my favourite healthy snacks like my Canadian Maple and Sea Salt Roasted Walnuts….Mmmmmm…
Here’s the recipe for you so that you can make and enjoy these deliciously sweet, salty, crunchy little bits of goodness….
But first…I HAVE to tell you what’s so GREAT about walnuts!
In North America, September and October are the months in which walnuts are harvested…and, for many reasons, these have long been my absolute favorite nut!
Did you know that walnuts are often alluded to as the “King” of nuts? Dr. Mercola writes:
‘Oftentimes, the simplest foods are best for your health, and this is certainly the case for nuts, in which Mother Nature has crafted a nearly perfect package of protein, healthy fats, fiber, plant sterols, antioxidants, and many vitamins and minerals. Among nuts, the case may be made that walnuts are king, as research shows they may boost your health in a number of ways at very easy-to-achieve “doses.”‘
Walnuts are healthy because of their high concentration of nutrients.
- Walnuts are rich in powerful antioxidants that fight free radicals – the culprits that cause aging. So these amazing nuts have some serious anti-aging properties! The concentration of antioxidants is highest in the papery skin of the walnut, so it’s important to consume it! Some researchers have called the powerful antioxidants found in walnuts “remarkable.”
- Walnuts are a super plant source of Omega-3’s (Essential Fatty Acids) – significantly higher than any other nut! These boost mood, fight depression, improve brain function, enhance skin health, and help with so many processes in your body that you really do not want to miss out!
- In addition to the antioxidants and Omega-3’s, walnuts contain iron, selenium, calcium, zinc, folate, melatonin, vitamin E and some B vitamins. They’re a Nutrient Powerhouse!!
- Because of specific phytonutrients and the high amounts of polyunsaturated fats found in walnuts, they are very good for brain health and brain function. Which is easy to remember because they look like little brains!
- Walnuts have been found to be excellent in helping people feel full and can contribute to healthy weight loss. They also have compounds that burn belly fat!
- Walnuts have certain fats and nutrients that improve sperm quality and support reproductive health in men.
- Walnuts are a great anti-inflammatory food. They are good for heart health and also have cancer-fighting properties.
- Consuming walnuts can enrich the gut microbiome and increase certain good bacteria strains. This boosts immunity and mood, digestion and absorption of nutrients.
- There are even more health benefits but I wanted to list some of the major ones…Quite the list, right?!
They’re also sooooo delicious, raw or roasted! Although the highest level of health benefits comes from eating these nuts raw, roasting them once in a while is a nice way to switch things up… and they’re still a nutrition powerhouse!
As I mentioned above, as a treat, I’m going to share one of my favorite walnut recipes. It’s a total crowd pleaser. Kid’s LOVE it too! Canadian Maple & Sea Salt Roasted Walnuts. They’re a ‘real food snack. Put these into little clear gift bags for friends or colleagues, toss them on a salad, or pack them in your kid’s lunch bag for school or your carry-on for a long flight as they will sustain you. WARNING: They’re addictive, so watch out! Maybe have someone else portion control them for you (not kidding – trust me on this).
(page 217 of FUELLED book)
Canadian Maple & Sea Salt Roasted Walnuts
2 cups walnuts, halved
1 Tbsp Coconut Oil
½ cup organic maple syrup
1 tsp Celtic sea salt
1 tsp maple or date sugar (optional)
Preheat oven to 400 to 415 degrees. Rub first 3 ingredients together and put into a baking dish. Bake for 10-12 minutes until golden brown. Remove from oven and sprinkle with salt to taste, and maple sugar (optional). Let cool. Place into a glass container and refrigerate to keep the walnuts crisp and fresh.
For everyone who FOLLOWS FUELLED on a minimum of 2 of our 4 social media pages, we will send you a VIDEO of me roasting these exact walnuts so that you can follow along with me at home!
You’ll see the entire process and learn how to create these incredible walnuts from scratch. It will be like having me as your personal instructor right there in the comfort of your own kitchen.
You’ll need to send us proof of following our pages by taking screenshots or photos of each one and sending it by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject: Maple & Sea Salt Walnuts Video BONUS GIFT!
Spread the LOVE: Feel free to share this message with someone you care about!
Stay safe, healthy and happy everyone!
With so much love,
“Get FUELLED today for a healthier and happier tomorrow!”
PS – If you enjoyed this post and would like to receive this kind of information regularly, sign up for my weekly eNewsletter to get these updates delivered right to your inbox!